Beautiful & Fun Things

By BoomSpress-BabyBoomersExpress
Stream Of Conscious Ramblings of a Life Long Learner

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss


My Photo
Name:

Hello, Paula Gaon here, Libra Sun, Cancer Rising, Aquarius Moon. Nice to meet you. I'm one of many aging BabyBoomers scratching my head and wondering where the time went and why I still feel so confused. That planned career never came to fruition, and earning a living is just a necessary chore. A few years ago, after that proverbial mid-life crisis-which I prefer to think of as an extended adolescence, and my mother's advice, decided to get back to artwork-ie clear out the accumulated cobwebs and neurosis and bring to light all that's been gestating the past 30+ years. So here it is. Look forward to sharing a few ideas and images with you! Come over & rap with us: http://www.apsense.com/invite/paulag5777

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Time, Relativity, Art, and a Little Astrology


Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Albert Einstein: Original designer Mug, by Paula Gaon



Please visit our worthy sponsors;
view and visit links in a new window.






Hello hello,

Yes it's been awhile; no, I haven't forgotten about blogging--G-d forbid! Due to financial considerations, I've had to rearrange my schedule. Technically, this was no great feat, but practically it has scrambled my head a bit. By nature, I'm a
Night Owl. Evening hours activate the creative juices and I can literally build up a momentum that lasts until the wee hours of the morning. Granted, this recent change of schedule is only a matter of two hours in the morning right here in the neighborhood. I don't have any kids to blame for distractions, and even live alone, so there are really no distractions in the house. So what's the excuse? Simply, a problem of "relativity". I feel like everything has been turned topsy-turvy. When the momentum gets going, suddenly realize that I'd better go to bed in the next hour or so, or getting up in the morning and being alert for those couple of hours will be a real challenge. Then of course, changes never present themselves in isolation. There's always that little something that you have to take care of as a result of the change, right? So, another hour or 2 out, then home and really must rest and eat something before getting involved in Art, Astrology, or Blog, right. Even the Stars are influencing my normally reclusive life-style to be more outgoing. OK, so all things have their times and cycles. I suppose Albert Einstein was right when he said, "G-d doesn't play dice."



In any case, through the years, believe it or not, I've found Einstein to be a great source of inspiration. He certainly taught us the implications of Relativity in this world. His discovery redefined our concept of what energy; light and mass are and for better or worse bequeathed us Baby boomers and generations to come with the reality of nuclear energy. We still think of that E=mc2 equation as the quintessential stroke of human genius of our era. But what's genius really? I've come to think that it's really more in making connections more than the ability to acquire knowledge--i.e.,-Imagination. Seeing things from a fresh and different angle, or connecting bits and pieces of knowledge that are usually thought to be unrelated. Let's look at it like this. Suppose an extraterrestrial power has developed the ability to see other planets all throughout the universe. Depending on their distance from Earth, if they are looking at us now, because of the great distance and speed of light, they could actually be observing the Middle Ages, the American Revolution, or even the nuclear blast at Hiroshima. If they actually decide to visit our fair planet, they could be in for some real surprises. So, with all their genius, they could decide that somehow, they failed to calibrate their instruments correctly, or that what they saw is no longer relative to real time. In my humble opinion, a real genius would be able to extrapolate reality (or the perception of it) from what was observed on the home planet. Now that would indeed be a challenge!


So, back to the Relativity of my current reality, I'm having to learn to capture and recapture thoughts, impressions and intentions. One old fashioned trick I've had to rediscover is the plain old note pad. In this High Tech Era, we've tended to forget the power just scribbling something down, sketch, note, or idea, "To Do List". Our minds still retain ideas better when we write them down physically because the brain is neurologically connected to the motor controls, and physical activity can still facilitate thought.



Unfortunately, even I'm not old enough to really remember Einstein, but like many of us who were in college in the 70's, read the popular Life and Times book, which explained in fairly simple terms how he came to the Theory of Relativity. I remember at the time thinking that it was all a matter of making connections. Einstein was what is commonly known as dyslexic, but I prefer to think that he just had a very unconventional way of looking at things--a unique way of perceiving the world and making connections. Of course we can't travel at the speed of light, we're not light and by definition, the speed of light can only be attained by light. (Reminds me of when I was about 4 or 5. I kept expecting everyone in our car to get smaller and smaller as we traveled because when I stood in the front yard and people drove away, their car got smaller and smaller--now this is really getting wild!) When I look at pictures of Einstein, the depth that one sees in his eyes has always struck me. Always got the feeling that he wasn't looking at anything. Rather, he absorbed and processed--trying to understand of the mysteries, synthesis, and synergies of creation. He must have been a very spiritual and creative man. Hum, while I was typing this Blog, something my father (also an accomplished scientist), of blessed memory used to say popped into my head: "All of Nature is based on the mathematical number e, (i.e. growth curves, etc), except death itself. It must be division by 0 and undefined in this world as we know it."--Very spiritual and scientific…



Whatever, Nature has her frameworks, limitations and definitions and we must always find a way to perceive and cope with reality, whatever that is, to our own advantage.



For right now, the clock is ticking away in GMT +2, so I gotta get going!



Have a good one,


~Paula

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home